On Jan 11, 2008, at 8:01 AM, David Landgren wrote:

The benchmark may be flawed, since my appreciation of Unicode is little more than "things went downhill after 7-bit ASCII".

Haven't I read that you live in Paris? I figured that anyone who lives in a country whose dominant language was not fully expressible in ASCII would love Unicode.

On a major tangent, have others noticed the resurgence of the umlaut in printed English? I keep seeing things like coöperation or coördinates -- particularly in Technology Review, but in other publications on occasion too. Is that because it's *supposed* to be spelled that way, but ASCII and the typewriter have suppressed that spelling for my lifetime?

Chris