Dorothy B. Tyler wrote:

> I want to thank all of you who helped me out with the problems I was
> having on my newly purchased (used) powerbook. I finally bit the
> bullet and sold it to PowerBook Parts in Glendale, AZ.
>
> So I'll be signing off soon--but first a question: Is Apple going to
> continue selling PowerBooks, or have the TiBooks and iBooks taken
> over the market?
>
> Dorothy

Officially they are all Powerbooks. The only Powerbook models Apple
currently sells are the iBook and the TiBook, officially the 'PowerBook G4'.

The notion of Apple re-releasing the old Powerbooks in new clothing is
really dumb, imo.

Apple just tried that 'computer in the middle' strategy with the Cube.
The Cube was a brilliant piece of engineering, that just didn't ever
have a place in Apple's lineup. (what they had to do was get rid of the
low-end G4 tower, but that's another story)

Currently the iBook runs from $1200-1800, the TiBook from $2600-$3600.
There's room in the price range, but not a lot. Go take a class in your
local community college and you qualify for the EDU discount , which
brings the cost of a TiBook down to a lower price...which I cannot
confirm right now, since Apple's site is slashdotted bigtime.

Moreover, a re-released Pismo wouldn't offer much over the iBook other
than screen size.

It's a lot heavier, doesn't offer more options other than a swappable
drive, and perhaps a little more upgradeability, in that you can upgrade
the processor.

It would be a step back to the 'Performa 6435-9 A45B' era of Apple
marketing.

Apple is doing really well in it's current strategy of '4 computers'
marketing...the Cube proved that. It turned out to be the odd box out
and cost Apple a lot.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona