>hearttoheart wrote:
>
>>  I have a G 4 powerbook which I purchased in April and it frequently locks up
>>  and I have to restart the computer.  Is anyone else having this problem and
>>  if so what are you finding may be the problem.  It did it 2 times today
>>  while I was  trying to get online.  I also get kicked off line after 10
>>  min., my server states it isn't them, the phone company says the line is
>>  alright and the computer has been back to apple to check on the crashes.
>  > can anyone offer some help.
>  >
[ ... snip ... ]
>As for getting cut off after 10 minutes, check in the Remote Access
>settings; in the PPP Options, there's a checkbox to 'Disconnect if idle
>for 10 minutes'. Make sure that's unchecked.

With being cut off... I don't know about other states, but in Texas,
the phone company is only required to provide customers with data
throughput at 14,400bps. If your line can sustain that, as far as the
phone company is concerned, your line is "good". Sometimes setting
you modem script to "Apple Internal 56K (v.34)" will alleviate
connection issues, as it more-or-less drops you down to 33.6Kbps but
enables more error correction protocols, usually offering a more
stable connection.

There are also many 3rd party modem scripts that claim to do the same
but maintain a 56K connection. Unfortunately, I haven't found any
that work for me. No problem, though, I have a cable modem at home
now. :)
--

Any statements herein represent my opinion and do not represent those
of my employer.