I have a 1998-09 Wallstreet powerbook with 288Mb RAM & a 12Gb Toshiba drive,
I've just updated from 10.1 to 10.1.3. From the time it rebooted from the
update it hangs at the smiling Mac, there's no cursor or spinning disc.
I've booted off the 10.1 update CD and run disk first aid repair and this has
not fixed it. It will boot into 9.1 on the 2nd partition successfully. It was
running 10.0.3 & then 10.1 really well, so I'm ruling out the non-Apple RAM.
The partition is set to 7.99Gb so thats not the issue. I installed the security
update and Installer update and rebooted between each of these to confirm
success before applying the 10.1.3 Combo update.
Cmd-S doesn't drop into single user where I'd hope to get real information, but
then if its still at the smiling mac then I guess it hasn't even queried the
disk for an OS...

any help would be greatly appreciated before I fall back to my restores...

regards
bryan

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.