on 30/04/02 18:56, JustinLee at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> No it [orinico cards] is INcompatible with OSX, though some people have
>> gotten
> them to work.
>>

> So what cards would you suggest?  Something not too expensive.  Is there an
> advantage to getting an airport card (for my pismo) and using it with an
> access point other than the airport base station?  (has anyone noticed
> transfer rate differences and/or stability differences?)  And if I already
> have a router and a cable modem will the orinoco residential gateway (the
> one for $150...RG1100 I believe) work best for me?  Or do I need the $400
> access point?

I'm surprised I haven't read what, IMHO, is the most compelling reason for
you, with your Pismo, to get an Apple AirPort card is that you won't have
anything protruding out of your Pismo, and you greatly reduce the risk of
hitting the external antenna on the ORiNOCO and other similar cards and
breaking some internals inside your Pismo. You Pismo has a built-in AirPort
antenna, so nothing sticks out of it.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs
(owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and
exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional
and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an
elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm,
difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make
trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of
the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant
nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system
effect and baroque.

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.