On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 05:23  PM, Lesley Sprigg wrote:

> << If you're not like me (ie, you don't have so many icons on your
> desktop that you can't see the pattern)  >>
>
> <I seem to recall that it's not good practice to keep a lot of icons on
> your
> desktop... something about using too much RAM. Anybody else remember
> this
> issue?>
>
> Yes, an Apple Tech told me I shouldn't keep so many folders on my
> desktop,
> it's the most unstable place to keep them.  Although I had not had any
> problems, I moved the folders to the HD and created aliases on the
> desktop
> for the most frequently used folders.

This is untrue. The 'desktop' is really just a folder (invisible) on the
hard drive called "Desktop Folder". Having lots of stuff on the desktop
is no more RAM intensive or unstable than anywhere else on the computer.

The 'desktop' also has almost nothing to do with the Desktop Database
nor with "Rebuilding the desktop."

All things being equal, I hate having too much stuff on my desktop, but
that's just me.

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.