>I'm running a 30G Travelstar drive that runs at 4200rpm, a Sonnet 500mHz
>upgrade in a WS with 192MB of RAM, an OrangeMicro Firewire card and a
>Sony DCR-VX2000. Playback is choppy onscreen, and export is terrible.
>Almost no sound, and there are dropped frames. Anyone have any ideas?=20

Choppy playback onscreen may be normal, but terrible export definitely is not.

I use a Wallstreet 233MHz (yes, 233MHz, and no cpu upgrade), 320MB,
20GB Hitachi drive (4200rpm), and Newertech Firewire2Go firewire
card. Works like a charm (though, admittedly, I have never made any
real *big* project on it, video and audio quality is great and there
are no dropped frames).

Since your system is not working very well, these are the suggestions
that come to mind (I am assuming you're using system 9, otherwise
that becomes my first suggestion - with system X you'd be wasting
precious cpu cycles drawing the fancy aqua interface while dv frames
are quietly dropped :-():

turn off all unnecessary extensions (I used Extension manager to
create a very small extension set containing Quicktime, firewire and
little else; in particular anything related to Appletalk and Tcp/Ip
is turned OFF).

turn off virtual memory (throwing in more actual RAM might help too,
though you might get by with 192MB)

have a clean partition for capture and export to tape (in my setup, I
have a system partition, an editing partition and a capture/export
partition, that I erase often to avoid fragmentation).

if in spite of all this it still does not work properly, you might
want to try using BTV Pro for capture and output (that's what I use,
so it just might be that somehow iMovie is not behaving in your setup
- I can't offer evidence pro or against iMovie in my setup, because I
haven't used it).

hth

Luis