Matthew D. O'Conner wrote:

> What's the proper way to terminate a file sharing 'session'?

Dismount the shared volume by dragging it to the trash. It should also
dismount if you shut down.

Don't worry, it DOES feel weird.

The first week I ever used a Mac (someone I was house-sitting for had a
Mac Plus with a then brand new CD-ROM drive! This was many, MANY years
ago. I was in heaven...this was about a year and a half before I finally
got *my* first Mac...going home to my trusty Apple II+ really seemed a
letdown.) I thought I had to fire up Mac Tools to make a floppy disk go
away completely...dismounting a disk by throwing it out is perhaps the
single  most *unintuitive* part of the Mac OS.

It just utterly defies wisdom:

"Let me get this straight, if I want to get rid of a file, I drag it to
the trash. That makes it go away forever..."

"Yeah."

"And if I want to just eject the floppy disk, I drag it to the trash too..."

"Uhhh, yeah"

"Why? If I am done with a book I don't throw it in the trash to put it
back on the shelf..."

"Uhhh...well, ahhh, Because, that's why, just because!"

;-)

(Sez the man who is constantly dragging his desktop icon of his CD drive
to the trash on his Windows machine, and staring at the drive, waiting
for it to open.

I feel really stupid then.)

--
Bruce Johnson