I'm sorry this is so long.

I have a multitude of problems with my Wallstreet II (upgraded to 500mHz
with the Sonnet card, 30GB Travelstar drive, 192MB RAM) I hope the wise
ones on this list can advise me. What's so frustrating is that this
machine should be extremely powerful, but these problems keep it from
being very useful at all.

I would sell it (with full disclosure, of course) and let someone else
work out the kinks, but it was a gift, so I'm stuck. Honestly, I'm
getting tired of it and it's almost worse than not having a Mac at all.

Problem 1 - I can live with this one.
The screen has a streaky vertical watermark appearance which I think is
a problem with the cable (or the guts) and not the actual screen. When I
boot into OS9, I can't detect the streaks on the b/w Mac OS 9.2 screen.
I can only see then once the background image loads. Dialog and other
boxes on screen cause additional streaks to appear which are parallel to
the edges of the box. I know it's a hardware problem, but I just don't
know which part it is.

Problem 2:
Power. The thing will not sleep reliably. I guess it loses contact with
the battery and dies out of sleep. It loses PRAM settings, of course.
When I boot it (Have to plug it in) it boots into OS9. (I guess b/c I
have OS9 on its own partition) First it shows no battery, then after a
couple seconds, shows the fully charged battery. ARG. Sent it into
PBParts.com for the problem and he found a grounding problem. He said:

"The 'normal' symptom for this grounding issue is that the unit will not
charge the standby battery or main battery while the unit is on.  But it
will charge them while it's off or sleeping.  We've evaluated your
standby battery after 24 hours of charging, and it lasts about 1.5
minutes.  This is not up to Apple's guidelines, but we've found that
anything over 30 seconds is acceptable.

We can continue to test your unit, or we can assume it's fixed (based on
the grounding problem), and ship it back."

I opted to have him send it back - but the problem remains. So, I guess
I have to send it back to him for more testing. It's just so
frustrating. Does anyone have any advice for me other than to send it
back to pbparts.com for repair?

Problem 3:
Following advice on this board, I booted into 0S 9 to do my video stuff.
I was able to manipulate video in FC Pro with choppy playback onscreen,
which is fine. Everything appeared to be fine, but printing to video I
lost audio. I just got tiny bits and pieces of audio. Is this a RAM
issue? Is 192MB not enough? Could it be my Firewire card?

Any advice on any of these topics would be sincerely appreciated.

Dan Lovejoy