Michael Bryan Bell wrote:

> Out of all of those, oddly I had the best luck with the metabox joe cards...

Herewith, A Cautionary Tale of Upgrades

Yeah, I have one of those.

I had some really strange problems with it though.

I couldn't get it to run at it's rated speed (though, it does state in
the manual that some older systems don't work happily at the 450 mHz
speed) and had to back it down to 414 MHz.

Then after a month or so, my internal SCSI chain didn't work anymore.

Plugging the scsi cable into the connector for the external one (this is
on a 7600) and it all worked ok. Curse, piss, moan.

Then it wouldn't shut down anymore.

Then it wouldn't boot.

I cursed and swore, messed around with it, bought another motherboard,
had the SAME results, and ended up putting my older, slower Sonnet card in.

Pissed at Metabox, pissed at myself for buying close-out stuff.

About 3 months later, I catch a deal on some new RAM, so I put in 2 new
128 mb sticks. If I can't have a fast computer, I'll at least have
enough memory.

Will all my motley ram I now have 554 mb ram.

It won't boot. I remove the new RAM and it boots. Arrrgggh! At least DMS
will take it back or exchange it...

Ok, lets see which one is bad...yank all the ram and test the two new
sticks. They work. Huh?

Hmm...work through all the RAM; individually, it all works.

What the...??

After playing RAM stick tetris for a while, I find that adding the
oldest RAM (two 8 mb and a 16 mb stick) causes it to fail, but only
*when* the new RAM is installed.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

No loss, I toss those old sticks, and it boots fine with the 512 ram.
NOw all my RAM is interleaved, and everything runs a smidge faster.

My eyes fall upon the Metabox box up on the shelf...I wonder....

Lo and behold, I've been running the 7600 happily on my fully functional
JoeCard for about 3 months now.

The Moral: Bad Ram can do some really Really REALLY weird stuff!

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona