> Anyone spring for one of these yet? I'm just wondering what kind of "real
> world" performance differences I could expect, not really running anything
> all that processor intensive outside of iTunes (yet). I wanna go for it, but
> part of me thinks it's just upgradeitis.

I'm kind of curious about these also, but more out of an economic curiosity
stand point... The mac upgrade market will still be dead for a good while,
but I'm glad they're still making a go of it.

You can pretty much figure out how the upgrades will perform by past
history, and your pismo's limitations. Battery life will be interesting,
though.

Basically, look at the performance numbers for the blue and white and beige
G3's. Then look at how the performance increase of the G4 upgrades
comparable to Newer's offering. Take the percentage increase, and your
general performance increase will be that minus 15-25% in general (excepting
certain disk functions). You can get those benchmarks all over the web
(email me offlist and I'll send you to a bunch if you need).

Remember that with the G4 there is a difference between processor intensive
and altivec intensive, and there are I/o issues. Sort of like how ripping
mp3's is a lot faster in the newer g4's if you just get a CDR and aren't
doing it on a superdrive (the superdrive is the bottleneck, not the
processor).

Michael Bryan Bell