hi,

everybody seems to be keen on having VPC 5 run as slow as possible by
installing Win2000 or XP ... at work i run Win95 on VPC4, as it's the other
software that i need for office compatibility, not necessarily a bloated OS,
and seeing as Win95 gobbles up much less RAM then all the more is there for
PC applications.

moving up from VPC3 to 4 was definately a positive step in terms of
effective processing power and (specific) video performance. however,
because of these speed issues i'm still comtemplating the move from VPC4 to
5 (presently the only hurdle stopping me using X at work).

is any body running VPC5 with Win95 and can comment on application issues
when comparing 9 to X? the main problem with my combination (under 9 of
course) seems to be video performance and i/o rather than poor raw
processing power, i.e. the PC lacks a snappy feel, and i'm rather dreading
this being even more so under X ...

for what it's worth:
1). i've already scoured the connectix site for performance tips, and so too
sites giving tips for Win95 (e.g. i run with 320mb given to the PC OS and
with it's VM off ... any comments?).
2). PC applications in constant use are: office 2000 pro (video slow),
navision (fine), labview 6i (video real slow otherwise surprisingly good),
origin 6 (video slow) ... you get the picture, right?!?

thanx for any help.

greg