>>> travel with my Pismo (it's small enough to fit in my bag). I find it to be
>>> more comfortable for typing. At home it serves for cooling and also as a
>>> swivel base to make it easier to reach the back for connecting cables and
>>> such.
>>>

> OK, so where does one can buy this CoolPad?

<wwww.macsales.com> (OWC)

<http://www.coolpad.com/> (manufacturer)

About 6 months or so ago I tried these out pretty heavily, to fair and poor
results in some areas and excellent in others.

The good news- if your business requires you to show things on your laptop,
such as homepage comps or designs or even proposals and charts between a few
people, the swivel functionality absolutely rocks.

The bad news- it doesnąt' cool all that well. This isn't that surprising, as
there is no active cooling mechanism in it, all it does is raise the
computer up so that it hopefully has more airflow underneath it. Most of the
reviews online pretty much say the same thing.

I tested it with some friends on a bunch of different surfaces (because
before I got rid of it my 667's fan drove me insane) using a pismo, a 400
and 500mhz tibook, a 550 and a 667. It was unscientific, but basically we
just ran the computer's pretty hard from a cold boot, then checked to see
how long it took for the fan to come on.

In the former's cases, it was a marginal improvement if any at all, and for
the 550 & 667 it would actually come on while on the podium more often than
not. I was on a tibook list at the time and a few people were trying other
things out also... Seemed the  best way to get it to cool (minus active
cooling) was making sure it was on a hard, flat surface. Some people said it
was better with wood or metal than it was with formica, etc.

Anyways, just don't expect any night and day differences. :)

Michael Bryan Bell