In OSX I am pretty sure that the system run some maintenance and clean up
routines in the wee hours of the morning. If you turn your computer off,
these routines aren't run. There are shareware apps to make this happen when
the user wants them to.

Here in the EU (European Union) almost all of the power lines are
underground. In the USA, almost all of the power lines are above ground. I
will let the reader decide which costs more to install and is better for our
computers health! Obviously underground wiring is impractical when there is
urban sprawl =)

Regarding the fan never turning on inside Pismos, it seems to only happen
with mine when I have an external monitor, AND the laptop lid is closed AND
I am watching a DVD. I used to think my fan was broke too!

Ryan