> In OSX I am pretty sure that the system run some maintenance and clean up
> routines in the wee hours of the morning.

*nods* at about 3am or so, its a throwback to the unix underpinnings that
expect to be on a computer that runs 24/7.

Basically all it is doing is rotating the various logs. OSX keeps track of
lots of stuff (part of why it uses the disk so often)... Error messages, you
name it. If there is something bad going on, those error logs can grow
tremendously, so rotating them clears it all out.

> If you turn your computer off,
> these routines aren't run. There are shareware apps to make this happen when
> the user wants them to.

*nods* you can also edit the chron job via the terminal so that it happens
whenever you'd like, say, at 12pm while you are out at lunch.

MacJanitor is considered the best for doing this (not editing the times, but
running them manually) and is great program.

> Here in the EU (European Union) almost all of the power lines are
> underground. In the USA, almost all of the power lines are above ground. I
> will let the reader decide which costs more to install and is better for our
> computers health! Obviously underground wiring is impractical when there is
> urban sprawl =)

Heh, as one who has had his power go down for days and days do to ice
storms, I know which way I'd vote. :)

Then again, most american power companies just suck so I'm sure they'd find
some way to muck it up.

Michael Bryan Bell