Michael Bryan Bell wrote:
>>At Starbucks the other day (no Airport at this one), a friend of a
>>friend was finishing up his homework assignment on computer security.
>

> Heh, tell him to keep reading.

Tell him to keep reading and actually try it in real life sometime...

>>What intrigued me was this;
>>He said the best way to set up a secure home network was to use a
>>computer as server and then connect all other ubits to the server. OK, I
>>was intrigued but it got over my head quickly. It made sense on first
>>listening, before I forgot the details.
>

> He's talking overkill. Extreme, almost masochistic overkill. :) You'll see
> this in technical networking forums, where someone asks for good cheap
> router recommendations and they always say (take a cheap pentium and put
> linux or BSD on it!) before some calm voices of reason step in.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that the "crunch box" is right now considered
> to be the most secure router/firewall combination that is out there right
> now. We're talking a dedicated P3 computer running a modified openBSD
> <http://shopip.com/index.html> which retails for around $7k. If you weren't
> familiar with him, John Draper (the inventor) didn't invent phone phreaking
> and system breakins but besides mitnick was probably the most well known.
> Even Steve Wozniak has gone on record as saying it's unhackable.

Well, a) Kevin Mitnik's great prowness was less in hacking than in
social engineering, which attackes the weakest link: the users. and B)
Draper's crunchbox can be built for a hell of a lot less than
$7k....with appropriate scrounging a usable router can be bult for less
than the cost of the hardware cable routers, and be nearly as easy to
set up. I daresay that the majority of the software in that Crunchbox is
  open source stuff that theyve attached an easy-to-use interface on.

That said, more power to John..if he can just *please* get some of the
stupider admins to use stuff like that, *my* life would be easier.

"Oh no, we're secure here!"

"Then how come 25 of your machines are trying to DOS me?"

"Oh, *that's* why our network is so slow...I'll see if Microsoft has a
patch for that..."

That said, BSD out of the box, all by itself is pretty secure. A Mac
running the standard install is more so..if you don't enable ftp/telnet
or run a web server, there are almost no open ports on a Mac to begin with.

> There is a firewall in OSX, it just isn't turned on by default. There are
> numerous shareware/freeware apps to access and configure it (brickhouse
> being the fav). Then, all you have to do is be able to share your connection
> to the rest of the computer. Normally this is done via DHCP & NAT, and you
> can download a freeware tool to enable that on OSX too.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for security... But OSX's software firewall or a
> cheap $150 router with a hardware firewall will pretty much take care you.

That and common sense. Quick! How many of you have a password for OSX
that's your dog's name? How many of you have taken the time to memorize
(and use) a password like 7hT%4ft% ?

(It's actually easy...you can memorize just about any sequence of
symbols pretty quickly...as a sysadmin I keep around 25 or 30 of them in
my head at any given time. If I have to change two in a week, I'm
doomed, but normally I can usually get it in two tries)

--

Bruce Johnson
Wherever you go, there you are.