>> John Draper (the inventor) didn't invent phone phreaking
>>> and system breakins
> He waa Cap'n Crunch, right? (IIRC). That guy was/is hilarious. His antics
> cracked me up. Even when he got out of jail, he wanted Woz to turn the
> Apple II into the ultimate phone phreaking machine.

Actually he was hired by apple computer (through woz I believe, they met
back at homebrew) to work on a telephone board for the apple. It just so
happened that within that board he basically included the functionality of a
blue box which allowed one to generate the tones used by the phone company's
switches. Apple was run by markula at the time I believe, and once he heard
about the things capabilities he freaked out and  killed the project.

Sometime later (shortly) after the phone companies equipment had improved he
was caught by the phone companies when they noticed something like 20,000
calls coming out of his apartment to numbers that weren't even supposed to
exist. :)

> (he needed to get a life).

He was just a different sort, in a different time. He didn't invent phone
phreaking (I can't remember the guy's name who did, but it was done on a
PDP-1 mainframe back at MIT) but whereas the other guy had some hacker
scruples, cap'n crunch just loved sharing information with anyone and
anybody whether or not they wanted it to get around paying the phone company
or not.

Heh, no one I have met or anything I have read has led me to believe
anything but nice things out of the guy- except for the fact that he (at
least used to be) almost violently against smoking... Which means if I ever
met him we'd get along for about 2 hours before the addiction kicked in. :)

Michael Bryan Bell