> I then bought another (Apple) battery, which worked fine for another
> year and then - same again.
>
> The third battery (Lacie) only lasted a few months.
>
> This fourth battery (VST) has just developed the same fault, and I've
> only been using it for a month or so.
>
> Batteries don't generally get a hard time from me, as I usually use
> the AC adapter. Surely I'm not getting a string of defective
> batteries?

This is just one thing to look at, but where are you getting your batteries
from?

The problem with batteries is that they have a "shelf life", and will
essentially go bad. Reconditioning used to help, but not as much anymore...
Battery technology just hasn't kept up. People are actually having problems
getting good batteries for the first generation ibooks (toilet seats)
already. In one case, a company had hundreds of them that they got in and
sold to customers, only to find that they all died pretty quickly and
couldn't hold a charge well before that.

So it could just be worth looking into- ie, where are the batteries you're
getting coming from, and how old are they?

Michael Bryan Bell