Long time pondering whom to ask, then a helpful discuswsion of
firewalling (still less than 40 msgs long and on-topic!) prompts me to
ask here:

What's an effective way to trouble-shoot Goldilocks DSL? Sometimes my
SBC service is an utter delight. Max rated throughput, maybe more. But
unpredictably, I get almost nothing thru it, have connection failures,
can't find my mail server, etc.

Ping shows either 0% failure or over 50%, going to one of the SprintNet
links that seem (in TraceRoute) to be how PacBell/SBC hooks to the rest
of the world. Obviously, 0% is better! But what's acceptable? Any reason
that could be on my end that could hex the connection? (We have long
heard noise on weaker AM stations in the house that turns on and off
unpredictably, perhaps with the neighbor's hot tub.) I considered
cabling troubles or the like until I Pinged my router; I always get 100%
OK with almost no turnaround time, and there's just the shortest of
links to the DSL "modem."

Any thoughts? Whta sort of assistance might I look for?

"Inquiring Minds Want to Know!"