> What's an effective way to trouble-shoot Goldilocks DSL?

I think you're being way too technical with all this troubleshooting,
instead of letting the company take care of the problem.

If I remember correctly, doesn't Goldilocks offer a fairly simple
troubleshooting package involving 3 bears and some porridge?

*ba dum bum* Yeah, bet their tech support has never heard that one before.

To echo kevin, chances are the problem just isn't on your end at all... It
could be any number of things. I use a cable modem but also a T1 and DSL
depending on where I'm at during the week. The cable modem can actually beat
the T1 in throughput sometimes, but the T1 never just disappears. Consumer
DSL and cable service can just be flaky as hell. About the best consumer
broadband solutions I've had experience with has been speakeasy, but they're
pretty pricey. My cable modem will drop down to modem speeds or need to be
reset every few days or so, sometimes once a day. They just aren't made to
be enterprise class services.

Some things to watch out for- is there a fairly normal pattern to the
outages? Ie, once a week, or once a day and then it comes right back up
within 15 minutes? Do web and email die but other things can get through ok
(such as FTP/AIM/icq)? If some things are getting through, then it could be
related to a DNS issue... But chances are it's not.

> Any thoughts? Whta sort of assistance might I look for?

Probably not a whole lot. It probably definitely has to do with their
network, there just isn't a whole you can do except call and complain and
hope enough others do that they end up checking out the problem.

Bruce's suggestion about your DSL modem possibly flaking out is a good one,
a friend of mine had his motorola surfboard replaced 5 times before he got
reliable service.

Michael Bryan Bell