>Does anybody here use the ReelEyes software with the CapSure PCMCIA card?
Yep, but mainly use FCP.
>gave it a shot tonight, in OS 9 since the card isn't recognized under OS X
>(bummer!) and was disappointed.

True. No drivers. iRez have discontinued the PCMCIA card of course. I
doubt whether Apple will add a Zoomed Video driver to OS X; unless
someone in Darwin writes one.

>I think it had to do with the fact that the
>software seems to be partially disabled if you don't register, or at least
>enter the code. I've read in an article on the web that if you buy the
>CapSure card, you get ReelEyes free, which is usually $39.99. Now, I didn't
>buy this CapSure brand new, as you probably imagined, but I don't remember
>seeing anything in the box that would look like a code to register ReelEyes.
There is a code (and the codes are all the same). You own it = you should
have full version. It only adds a few extra screen rezes and prefs and
such.

>The reason I'm asking is that I've got pretty bad performance on my
>PowerBook G3 Pismo under OS 9.2.2. The best I could get when capturing at
>640 x 480 was about 8 fps. I then did give a try to BTV, the "light" version
>and there, also using the CapSure, I was able to capture at 29.97 fps at 640
>x 480. The only gotcha is that, for some reason, maybe because the software
>hasn't been registered yet, is that no matter what video and audio settings
>I would choose, the app would always revert to some kind of default values,
>namely Component with "best" quality and the sound to MACE3:1 and 44.1 Khz.
Right. 8fps is bad. First, you need to use MJPEG-A or B compression.
Sorenson and Cinepak and other codecs demand really fast G4 compression
(unless you capture and compress offline, as opposed to real-time. But I
digress).

Second, you can go to 720x576. Any higher will drop frames. Shrinking it
to VCD (320x288) will be good quality. But I'm happy with the 720x576 and
stretch it to full-screen mode using MacVCD (v.4.0 also plays VCD in X).
QT 6.0 plays MPEG but not VCDs in X. For OS 9, you can use QT 5, 6 for
VCDs.

Third, use  'very good' (i.e. thousands of colours), not 'Best'
(Millions) when capturing. The G3s can't handle this data/graphics rate.
(FireWire DV's a different animal). VHS/Beta is lousy anyway, so there's
no benefit in capturing @ 24-bit colour. Of course, pro footage (e..g, TV
programmes) look better when captured. I VCD'd this 'James Bond Story'
doco, which looks great. Reason: am preserving old VHS & beta tapes, some
of which are v. ancient (18 years' old).

>So, what I'm wondering is, would there be anybody that would know where I
>could get a registration code? IRez doesn't provide ReelEyes anymore since
>quite some time, and they won't sell it to me.
That's news to me. Was there last time I looked (a few weeks). Asked them
for a code? If not mail me OL.

>Does anybody is using BTV as well? Any idea why the video and audio settings
>always revert to this kind of default values?
Tried 4.0, 5.0, Ben's s/w is 1/2 decent in execution, but still too many
bugs. The poor (wo)man's alternative to FCP.

I prefer FCP though - you might find a cheap copy of v.1.0 (upgrade to
1.2.5) off ebay, Laurent - it's very polished and captures extremely
well. Plus it runs v. well on any G3. But that said, ReelEyes should work
fine. If not, capture in ReelEyes and then play it back using QT player.
ReelEyes (and FCP) often lie when they're playing back footage and drop
frames that weren't really dropped.

Example # 2: Wallstreet (<292MHz) is too slow to capture larger rezes
(>320x288), so the capturing is done on Lombard. Now, the footage is just
fine, but the WS's video card (ATI Rage but only 4MB) and PCI subsystem
is too slow to deliver full-speed playback. But the footage is fine. So
it matters not when I use the WS as a mule to encode the QT footage into
MPEG-1 (VCD). I just don't capture with it.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor/News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>