Let me set the scene.

Pismo 500 with 12 gig hd
Bought new 40 gig hd
Also bought USB external hd case
Put 40 gig in ext. case. plugged into pismo, loaded usb driver for ext case
Copied System Folder from Pismo to ext hd
Installed 40 gig in Pismo
Put 12 gig in ext case

Would not boot from 40 gig
Booted from 9.1 cd, initialized 40 gig, and loaded 9.1 on 40 gig
Rebooted from 40 gig, up and running, reloaded usb driver for ext hd
case, ext hd came up on desktop, things look pretty good

Here's the puzzler:
If I boot the Pismo without the ext 12 gig hd plugged in, none of my
desktop aliases and real files that were on the desktop show up.
Plug in the ext hd and there they are.  I understand (I think) that
that desktop stuff is stored in the Desktop Folder (makes sense to
me).  And the DF is invisible so geek wannabe's like me can't easily
mess with it.  The only hint that I get that the DF exists is by
Sherlocking for it.  When I try to drag the DF from the Sherlock
window to the pismo hd, the Finder tells me:
"Desktop" cannot be moved or copied here, because the name is
reserved by the system software.

All I want to do is get my desktop stuff from the ext hd to the Pismo
hd, so I can remove the external and put it away for backups,
emergencies, or whatever people do with external hd's.

Suggestions??
--
Dan