Hi-

I'm new to the list. I discovered it while online, looking for info
regarding my newly-dead DVD drive. I hope I'm not asking a FAQ, but I
couldn't find one that would answer this sort of question.

My DVD drive started giving me problems back in January (about two weeks
after the warranty ran out). It would give me problems reading disks,
usually either freezing the computer or simply not mounting it. It seemed to
be fixed by changing back to 9.1 for a while, but still reared its ugly head
on occasion. When 9.2.2 came out, I upgraded without much problem, but the
problem still showed up on occasion. In the past two weeks, it got worse,
but this weekend, it went wild, in in the process of swapping CDs, it
stopped entirely, and hasn't read a CD since Friday. It seems to read DVDs
fine, but not CDs. From my explorations on the web, this is a common
problem. My question is this. What is the likelyhood of Apple fixing this
for me, or for my having to pay for this. It sure seems to me that it is a
manufacturer's defect. Am I correct? What should I do? TIA.
--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow
the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the
people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their
virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external
or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams