Luis,

Thanks - that was it.  My problem was that if I
started up, then plugged in the S-Video, the PB
wouldn't recognize it, even if I put it to sleep and
woke it back up.  If I plugged in the S-Video first,
then restarted, the PB would default to that incorrect
PAL S-Video output as the primary display and I
couldn't see to do anything with it.  Since I don't
know any keyboard shortcuts that let me switch display
configurations, I had to try to pick a different
configuration off the scrolling screen, which I
finally managed to do.  Now it's working just fine,
but I have no idea how it got changed in the first
place, or how to quickly fix it if it happens again.

Thanks for the lead, it really helped.

- Jeff Lentz