Given that a few different drive mechanisms were available in these
modules, do you know if the several dozen dead drives (sddd) are of
the same model? Apple system profiler should cough up the pertinent
info under the devices and volumes tab. (guessing, my drive is at
home)
Furthermore, could it be that the corpses are the result of attempts
to defeat the DVD region system? Several hacks are out there....

F.