> I need some other input. My Pismo, 9.1, 400Mhz, 384RAM, is pinking in the
> corners of the screen, and has been since the beginning of the year. It
> hasn't gotten too much worse, but... The local Apple shop advises moving to
> a new iBook, rather than replacing the screen. I'm not against either route,
> but wish to have more information from others before any decision. One of
> the members of this list has a good price for screen replacement, so this is
> a doable option.

*sigh* I'm assuming you don't have applecare... They're pretty much right.
The pinking is a known issue (maybe not with apple, but with everyone else)
on the pismo's. It's an expensive fix if apple doesn't flat rate it.

Check <http://www.pbparts.com/>, they're the only ones I'd use and it'll
still be around $550- not to mention all the other stuff that is going nutty
in pismo's that you could hit at any time.

> The reason that this is so current is that I need to get OSX loaded in order
> to access a discounted broker service that I wish to use (they're only set
> up for OSX).

Ouch, might want to think about using one that isn't software based but
rather web-based. I use tdwaterhouse, but have been looking at scott trade.

> . Resale value with the pinkish screen is diminished
> considerably. Even going to the lowest end iBook at a 12" screen, with
> 600Mhz and 250RAM makes sense to purchase Applecare, for a total of close to
> $1500.

Yeah, it's not as competitive when you factor in what it takes to get
something really usable. Try some other places-and if you're on a budget,
don't go new. You can save at least $100-$150 by not ordering through apple.
Some decent places:

<http://www.smalldog.com/searchq/condition='r'>
<http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate.cgi?i=PM_CN_IB>
<http://www.dealmac.com/>
<http://www.dealsontheweb.com/headlines.shtml>

To be honest, I wouldn't buy anything but the new updated ibooks- OSX
doesn't exactly scream on them as is, but at least the last revision means
they'll get some acceleration from quartz extreme (dumbest name ever).

> I can get OSX purchased and onto my machine (with the 9.2 upgrade that I
> notice is necessary) for what I consider to be a very fair price (not
> setting it up myself).

OSX actually comes with OS9- you get both for the $120 price.

> The question is whether going to a newer machine (I'm third owner on the
> Pismo) with all new gear (I've never owned a new laptop: used 145B and used
> 1400CS) and all that this entails concerning hardware, with OSX loaded,
> etc., is the best route. Moving to the smaller screen seems very distasteful
> at this point also, so this leaves the 14.1 iBook plus Applecare, and we're
> over $2,000.

Right now is a pretty poor time to be buying a mac, as the whole product
line is in transition. The Ibook as it stands is simply a stop gap model,
same for the powermacs and iMacs. The technology in them is starting to get
laughably ancient, which means any modernization they do will make the leap
between this years model and next years model HUGE.

If it were me (and don't just do what I say, weigh your options as they
apply to you) and I were buying right now, I'd get the cheapest thing
available knowing that you'll be selling it in a year and upgrading to
something else.

As for the 12" ibooks- I have to say I love them, I actually own two
(500mhz). The screen =is= small, but the screen real estate is actually the
same as your pismo (1024x768) and I can't even tell you how great the screen
is. It put my 667's tibook screen to shame, it is that good (newer pb's have
better screens). I've owned one of every apple laptop series from the 5xx
on- and until the icebook the 1400 was still my favorite (still my favorite
keyboard).

Even with a bunch of ram, they just aren't very fast though. The tech in
them is too old, but you can find a 500mhz ibook around for ~$800. Anyways,
good luck.

Michael Bryan Bell