> Matt Halter wrote:
> > Jaguar sounds fantastic, but, unless I upgrade from my
> > wallstreet II and older iMacs I can't really make use
> > of all its speed and power.  If I do upgrade my
> > hardware I won't have to shell out the big bucks just
> > for Jaguar.  I really expected to get a price break on
> > the upgrade since I bought my newest iMac only 7 months
> > ago and it came with 10.1   Maybe the pricing is to
> > motivate us older hardware owners to upgrade. That's
> > how I'm looking at it.
>
> Well, the greatest performance boost from Jag comes from
> Quartz Extreme, which means you'll need 32mb or better
> VRAM and a modern OGL chipset to run it.
>
> I suspect 10.2 is going to convince a fair number of
> fence-sitters to buy new systems; Apple certainly hopes
> so.
>
> I'm certainly considering it, since the ol' frankenmac
> (G4 upgraded 7600) is getting a bit long in the tooth.

10.2 should be faster across-the-board for two reasons.

1) Better compilers means Apple will ship more efficient code.

2) On-going systems-level integration means Apple is getting better at
running their version of unix on top of PowerPC.

So, if you can imagine an operating system that is better at scheduling
time for all your applications to run; that is what #2 gives you.  Then
add the better compiler support, and you're left with applications that
are more efficient running on an OS that is better at making those
applications run.

I've got a Pismo/500 and an upgraded 8600/G3/500, and I've learned to
live with Aqua's CPU requirements by installing Duality and picking
themes that don't require transparency.  I *know* that 10.2 will make my
life better.  But I'm not prepared (economically!) to dump my systems
just to get better video card support.  (My 8600 is scheduled for
replacement at the end of the year, whereas my Pismo *should* last for
another 2.)

=- Tim Gilman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]