Actually, mac.com e-mail will remain free.  That's all you can get for
nothing, though.  But e-mail is freeeee!  This was posted on another
list...I can't quite figure out how to do it myself...but maybe that's
because I just applied for the trial offer thingy right now...maybe I
have to wait a bit until it fully goes through?  Even so this is a
sign!  Read on!

Converting your .Mac trial account to an email-only account

IMPORTANT: If you choose to convert your trial account to an email-only
account, all your data files
on Apple's servers (except for email messages) will be removed. Other
.Mac services, such as iDisk,
HomePage, Backup, and Virex, are not accessible to email-only accounts.

To convert your trial account to email-only, go to www.mac.com. Click
Account in the .Mac menu bar,
then click the Email Account Management button. Enter the member name
and password of the trial
account you'd like to convert, then click Convert.

Print your account information for future reference, then click Continue.