Just a little heads up for new .mac users. Apple changed my preferences so
that 3rd party companies will allowed access to your mac.com email address.
  It happened to me, to my wife, and to someone else that joined in the
discussion. What I think happened, is that they decided to bunch together
the (previous) options of just 1. email from Apple, and 2. email from 3rd
party developers. The result of that was if you had request only from
Apple, the 3rd party one was turned on as well. Below is what I had
written in their .mac support forums, and their reply:

Me:
I happened to go to my account page, and saw that the box marked "Keep me
updated with Apple News, special offers, and information about related
products and services from
other companies." was already checked for me. How nice. I don't remember
opting for this when I signed up. In fact, whenever I do see this in any
sign up procedure, and I do look for them, I always choose not to. Of
course it is possible that I overlooked it, but just in case, I thought I
should mention it for those who are like me, and do not wish to receive
3rd party announcements. I suggest you check yours and make sure.

This smacks of Hotmail where they go and change your preferences over
every once a in a while to receive these 3rd party advertisements.
--------------------------

Apple:
wbasil and xxxxxxxxx
,

Protecting your privacy is important to Apple. We strive to keep your
personal information confidential. By ensuring that you are aware of and
understand the Apple Customer Privacy Policy, we can provide you with
better service.

You'll find the entire Apple Customer Privacy Policy by clicking this link
or by going to http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/ .

Xxxx
Apple Support
---------------------------

Me:
To make Xxxxx' response more understandable, here is a quote from the link
he provided that pertains to the thread:

"Apple may occasionally share your personal contact information with
carefully selected technology companies, to keep you informed about
related products and services. For example, when new software is released,
  we may work with the developer to ensure that you're aware of the latest
software available for your Mac. If you do not want to receive promotional
information from Apple or these technology companies, click www.apple.com/
contact/myinfo to update your personal contact preferences."

This I can understand. My complaint is that my preferences that I had
already made, were made obsolete when Apple *changed* my preferences to
include these 3rd party "developers." Apple changed my preferences,
without my permission. Hotmail does the same thing. Every so often
(usually when I start receiving my more than fair share of spam) I check
my preferences, and sure enough, they have changed my preferences so that
it shows I want to share my email address with 3rd parties.

Very slick and underhanded. Apple can't be held liable because, my
preferences show that I didn't mind."See! he wanted his email address to
be shared!!"

I'll be watching...I'll be checking my prefs every other day.