>You _really_ don't want to operate the Pismo or its cousin the Lombard with
>the lid down. Most of the heat from the operation of the processor is
>dissipated up through the keyboard area. Perhaps Apple would like to sell a
>few more Powerbooks?
This isn't correct; if you boot with an ext. KB and display attached,
they're _designed_ to run with the lid down. The Wallstreet's cooling is
partially via the keyboard; thus, the PB is mechanically inhibited from
booting or operating with the lid closed.

To boot from an external KB, you need a KB with a power key (or a power
key dongle that attaches to a KB USB port, which sell for a few dollars).
In my case, I use an old Apple ADB Extended KB II attached to a USB->ADB
adapter. Of course, they have a power key.

The Lombard/Pismo were specifically redesigned to circumvent this
requirement. I've run the Lombard for days on end connected to an
external with the lid closed. The much hotter TiBooks do this as well.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor/News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>