>At 2:46 PM Joel Furtek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Yesterday morning I bought a Powerbook firewire 500Mhz at state
>>surplus auction for $300.  ...started up like a charm adn has run
>>beautifully since.
>
>I am SO jealous!!!!   A $300 Pismo of any speed is a great bargain.
>And if you spring the extra bit for the Newertech upgrade, you can
>have a fast G4 inside!  Color ME green!!!
>--Jim.

Jim,
Color me Giddy.  The auction list had a few "Powerbooks" on it.  So I
went to explore, and wouldn't you know it, lot #1 of 700 was the
Pismo, the rest were what you'd expect, a 5300cs, a 145, etc.
I about croaked when I opened the rear door and saw those Firewire
ports looking back at me.  When I saw the 500 on the bottom, ooeee.
Tested it, well, tried to, and it was D-E-D dead.  Still, I figured
it was probably the adapter or the P/S, either of which was a cheap
enough fix.  SO I showed up bright and early for the auction.  One
guy tried to hold the bidding down by chatting with the auctioneer
about the condition, and the caller actually mentioned it was dead.
Five or so bidders at $50, once it went over $200 it was me and one
other bidder, whose limit must have been $300, I actually picked it
up for $310, plus tax.
I'm pretty impressed with it!  Two years ago I worked with a
WallStreet 266, and this feels night and day faster.  I have the new
backup battery and 512MB of ram coming in next week.  I'll stay with
the 12GB disk for a little while, and also start saving for the G4
upgrade.  I do a lot of digital video as a rowing coach, so the
altivec would help.  Plus, iTunes would really pick up.  ;-)
It looks like it may have been surplused after 'going dead,' so I
actually put an email into the previous owner to see if she needs her
files.
Anyway, I do feel incredibly lucky to have come across this.  If you
live near a major university, check their website for surplus
auctions!
Now, if anyone's looking for a Pismo 400Mhz, I had already picked one
up on eBay, it should arrive by Monday, I'll be selling that one.
Best to all,
Joel

        Joel Furtek                                            PO Box 400852
          Assistant Varsity Coach
        McCue Center
University of Virginia Women's Rowing
Charlottesville, VA 22904 - 4852