Joe,
I just joined the list today, here's hoping I can offer something.
Yesterday morning I bought a Powerbook firewire 500Mhz at state
surplus auction for $300.  It was DOA.  I'd already ordered the new
PS but thought I'd try the battery; when I disconnected the backup
battery it started up like a charm adn has run beautifully since.
If you pull the DVD drive out, and pull back the keyboard, you should
see the battery in the lower right.  A single three-pin plug connects
it.  Pull the plug, put the keyboard back, and see if it starts up.
Worked for me!  I haven't looked into actually replacing it yet, but
it runs fine without it so long as you don't run your main battery
down.
Hope that helps.
Best,
Joel

>3.Now the problem: The Powerbook will not turn on.
>
>6. I suspect the problem is related to the back-up battery since the laptop
>is about 3 years old. However, I can't find any documentation on how to
>replace it on this model (Pismo Firewire 400 Mhz).

        Joel Furtek                                            PO Box 400852
          Assistant Varsity Coach
        McCue Center
University of Virginia Women's Rowing
Charlottesville, VA 22904 - 4852