On 8/19/02 2:54 PM, "Joe Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I first got my cable modem about a month ago, I tried to set it up
> directly to the ABS and ran into problems, I'm not sure why and maybe
> someone who knows more about networks can answer it. When I used the hub
> linking to the Cable modem then to the ABS and the Primary link on the hub,
> it started working and I've just left things alone since then.

Joe, I ran into this problem a while back. When @Home folded and Comcast
switched me over to their own network, my cable modem connection via ABS
suddenly stopped working. Drove me nuts bouncing back and forth between
Comcast and Apple support for about a week.

Then I happened to find out that it's because Comcast changed their
networking protocol somehow. The recommended solution was to get a hub or
router to put between the cable modem and the ABS, which I did. This
resolved the problem. Some months later, Apple corrected the problem with
onr of their Airport updates (sorry, don't remember which). I've
subsequently ditched the router.

My recommendation is, unless you absolutely need the hub, download the ABS
updates and try it out. You may gain other benefits as well.

-pha