On 19/08/02 13:44, "Gregory Cortelyou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8/19/02 11:40 AM, "Joe Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I run an older Airport (Graphite) at home. I have a cable modem connected to
>> an ethernet hub and the hub connected via ethernet to the Airport base
>> station my G4 desktop and Pismo are on a wireless lan talking to the Airport
>> Base Station and it all works flawlessy. This setup requires both machines
>> to have wireless cards installed but it causes the Base Station to function
>> as a hardware firewall that keeps my Mac "invisable" to the internet.
>>
>> I also don't expect there to be any problem when I go to 10.2 because it
>> uses the same TCP/IP protocol as we are using now. In fact I believe it will
>> make networking with my son's PC (poor child, just doesn't get it) even
>> easier.
>>
>> Joe Ellis
> I want to try to use it without any ethernet hub, connecting the cable modem
> directly to the ABS. Also, the 2 computers I am connecting are a G4 tower
> and a Pismo. Can I hardwire the G4 directly to the ABS and put a card only
> in the Pismo? Can it work like that? I have had some worry about 10.2 as
> someone said it might not support the graphite base station. Anyway, if I
> don't act soon, I imagine there won't be much more opportunity to get the
> graphite ones.

You can't hardwire your G4 directly to your ABS if you already connected
your cable modem to it, since there is only one Ethernet port on that
specific Graphite model. You would need the most recent, "Snow" version of
the ABS which I understand has 2 Ethernet ports. You can certainly connect
the cable modem into your ABS, but I'm not sure how to deal with your G4.
I'm not sure using a hub or a switch would do. Maybe, or maybe not.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.