On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 08:23:18AM +0200, Jon Glass wrote:
:
: So, what you are saying is that "single-user mode" is not a normal operating
: environment?

Very much correct.

: Here is a question, can you bypass giving root a password, or will it force
: you to enter something--anything--for a password? This whole rigermaroll
: sounds like a waste of time if you use this computer for a normal desktop,
: and for one person. Why should my computer not be mine? Sounds to
: Microsoft-like for my blood...

OS X is multi-user thanks to its Unix heritage.  It seems like overkill
if you're the only user on your computer.  But there are lots of things
running under the hood of OS X.  Many things run as you.  But many other
things do not.  This is one mechanism to help protect you from yourself.
Besides, it's not practically possible to remove multi-user support from
OS X.  And try to do so means that you want Apple to support more than
one Mac OS.  That's a lot of work.

As for M$, they aren't interested in protecting you from yourself.  Look
at all the bugs with every version of Windoze!

: So, is there any way to just bypass all this silly root, administrator,
: multi-user garbage? (which is how I see it, and I'm sorry, but I cannot see
: it otherwise. I don't want to use Unix, but a Mac.)

For the most part, you should not have to deal with admin passwords,
except for some software installs.  The nice thing about this is that
programs can't trash the OS by themselves because they don't have the
admin privileges needed.  This way, the user is in charge and not the
apps.  Isn't that what the Mac experience is all about?

--
Eugene Lee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]