I have a Wallstreet as well, but it's a 233 MHz version. It runs OS X
okay, at least for typical applications (no games). If you want OS X on
it, you must install it on the first partition, and that first
partition must be 8GB or less in size. Since you have an 8GB hard
drive, that shouldn't be a problem. But you don't want to run out of
room. OS 10.1.5 takes up about 1.3 GB if you trim it down a bunch
(remove all extra languages before installing by clicking the Customize
button). When I upgraded to 10.2, it took about an extra GB. And I
would allow at least another GB for files, maybe 2. So you're looking
at a 4GB OS X partition. I'm not sure how big OS 9 is but I think you
could allow 500MB for an emergency boot partition and be okay. If I
remember correctly it's about 300MB or less in size. Remember also that
your actual disk capacity won't actually be 8GB, it'll be less than
that.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to keep an empty 4GB partition as the
first one in case you want to put OS X on it later. You must either add
it right away or reformat the drive completely when you add it.

Regarding sleep of death, I haven't had it happen to me on my
Wallstreet under OS X except in some cases. The only time it's happened
was when I closed it and immediately opened it again. It was as if it
was stuck between sleeping and not sleeping, and I had to force
restart. But it hasn't done that for months.