I generally prefer not to see windows from background apps behind the
active app; too cluttered and confusing. I got tired of having to go
to the Application menu and select "Hide Others" all the time, so I
installed the HideAlways extension (one of MacUser's great System 7
utilities), which works fine, except that every time I return to the
Finder the windows have moved.

Say I position my main HD window on the left, and the Documents
folder window in the middle right of the desktop; next time I go to
the Finder they've switched places. And the next time they've
switched again. Eventually, all the windows I have open in the
Finder--no matter where I put them originally--are in two loose
bunches, on the left and the middle-right, and they trade places
seemingly at random from one time to the next. The same thing happens
when I put the PowerBook to sleep and reawaken it, and when I shut
down and start up again.

I don't remember if this happened in System 7, but it's been the same
from 8.6 thru 9.1. The "Hide Background Applications" function in RAM
Doubler 9 (in the Advanced tab) does the same thing. There seems to
be no way to induce the Finder to remember window positions. Does
anyone have any idea why this is happening, or what I can do about it?

Andrew Main