on 26/09/02 09:16, P.F.Grenier at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thursday, Sep 26, 2002, at 08:44 US/Eastern, Walter Basil wrote:
>
>> Right now, I have two iBooks on a home Airport network. I am looking
>> for a laser printer that connects via ethernet, and costs around
>> $300-400 US. Any ideas?
>>
>> What about print server hubs? How do they work, if at all under OS X?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Localtalk to ethernet bridge boxes work without drivers. Asante makes
> one, I'm sure others do as well. Check the swap list.

However, I had some issues with the AsanteTalk. Sometimes, for some reason,
on of my 3 Mac wouldn't see the printers on the LocalTalk side. As such, I
had a few times to unplug the thing in order to reset it. It doesn't happen
very frequently, and I haven't found the cause, but it's sometimes annoying
when you try to print only to realize that the computer doesn't see the
printer for some reason... Just a word of caution, plus depending on what
you're printing, you have to assume that there is a severe drop in speed
from Ethernet to LocalTalk...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by
ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A
cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of
working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug
nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood
(compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).