Chris, I find that long delay in both my Wallstreets running OS 9.2.2
and I have found it due to networking configurations. If I disconnect
the ethernet cable, the delay is much shorter. I see the same behavior
with OS 10.2.1. But I know what you mean about long--it is really
annoying.

The battery issue is interesting as I am guessing you are also a PC
laptop user such as I. (Have to as that is what my job calls for---not
my choice people so please no nastygrams)

The Wallstreet batteries from Apple have lights on them which light up
as the battery is charging. Third party batteries do not with the
exception of BTI batteries. The only way to see if the batteries are
charging are by looking at a running PB and in the menu bar the battery
icon has the lighten bolt by it. PC laptops all have some kind of light
indicating charging and connection status. I guess Apple feels they are
better than that. Of course, when you own the software and the box it
goes in you can do what you want. (That's why some feel that Jaguar
should be named Cheatah since it takes $129.00 to own it.)

In any case, there is no charging light except on the original Apple
batteries and Apple ain't making those anymore....

BTW, I am not an expert but have had my original Wallstreet for 11
years now. It has served well. The other was a hand me down but just as
rugged. They are good machines, last of the serial machines.

Take care,
Byron