On 09/10/02 04:11, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
>   I think its fair to say that I went into this process of installing mac
> os X, which I've had nothing but problems with in the past, in a positive
> mind set. But after installing it on my laptop, I have officially lost faith
> in Apple's ability to make a functional operating system (its just gone down
> hill from os 8...) This is my last hope- that you guys can help me- and I'm
> willing to bet that you can ( =
> This is what I am working on:
> A 333 bronze powerbook,
> 4.5gig hd
> 320mb ram
> 24x CD
> no additional cards, no airport
>
> I installed mac os 9.2.1 and X.04 first. Well, sort of. it took freezing
> twice before I got it on my hard drive. Then, I upgraded to 10.1. This time,
> I got the most non-mac-like error of my life: at the end of the install, a
> few lines of dos style text dropped over the pristine interface, reading
> roughly that something 'failed, operations halted, panic, awaiting remote
> debugger.' I dont think that this is a kernel panic, as I thought it was a
> bit more graphic than some text. Nonetheless, it froze. I restarted and began
> to install again. This time it worked just fine, and I was greeted with a new
> mac os X desktop. I really like the look and feel of X, and people keep
> telling me that jag is the way to go, and it really speeds things up.
>
> So then came the next part- jag.
> I inserted CD 1, checked for firmware updates, of which there were none, and
> proceeded to install. Wow, what a cool start up! I love the apple and
> spinning line design! truly simple and elegant. Well, mid install, it froze
> and I got to see the start up again as i went to install a second time. woo
> hoo! This time it worked like a charm, getting through both CDs and to the
> desktop. Very cool, I have to admit that it IS much more responsive. I
> clicked on sherlock to see what apple did that was new in 3, and it said it
> needed an internet connection. I was a bit confused, so I hit apple-f and was
> rewarded by a system 7.6-esque find function- I was very happy to see that,
> as I wasn't really crazy about sherlock to begin with. I went back to
> sherlock- and the computer froze. I restarted, then went into system control
> panels to change my clock style- and it froze. I restarted, and this time it
> lasted more than 30 seconds, nearly 4 minutes. That ended once I clicked on
> the apple menu. Froze again.
>
> I dont get it. What am I missing? is there some sort of 'dont freeze
> randomly' option I have to find in the control panel? I think there should
> be. Also important to note, I formatted the hd before starting this whole X
> fiasco, even taking the time to zero all data. Aside from my complaint that
> it should NOT take an assembly language programer's level of computer
> expertise to get an operating system on a clean computer, it obviously does
> [...]

Dylan,

You don't have to go through the pain of installing 10.0 in order to install
10.2. If you haven't done much yet, I would recommend you do a clean install
of 10.2 directly, then upgrade to 10.2.1.

Now, with your problems, I concur with the other posters that you're most
likely have some kind of hardware problems, probably faulty memory or
processor.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
funky adj.: Said of something that functions, but in a slightly strange,
klugey way. It does the job and would be difficult to change, so its obvious
non-optimality is left alone. Often used to describe interfaces. The more
bugs something has that nobody has bothered to fix because workarounds are
easier, the funkier it is. TECO and UUCP are funky. The Intel i860's
exception handling is extraordinarily funky. Most standards acquire
funkiness as they age. "The new mailer is installed, but is still somewhat
funky; if it bounces your mail for no reason, try resubmitting it." "This
UART is pretty funky. The data ready line is active-high in interrupt mode
and active-low in DMA mode."