When I graduated from my trusty Duo 2300 to a Pismo, I noticed that
the Pismo OS easy install did not include the Apple's Password
Protection control panel that I had used on the Duo. Played around
with the installer and discovered that it simply would not do it.
Assumed that this was some kind of bug in the installer, and since
Password protection had worked so well on the Duo it must be good for
the Pismo. Well, as they say, assumption is the mother of all
f***-ups, which is the situation I was in after using Tome Viewer to
install Password Protection on the Pismo. Since there is far less
code in the Pismo ROMs, it never boots to the point where Password
Protection comes up and allows startup to proceed, and I was locked
out of my HD.

After much amusement with my arsenal of disk utilities, I was able to
access the disk, possibly over local talk after booting with a CD.
Apple support had said that I ought to call Drive Savers. Maybe I
could have transplanted the drive to another platform as a last
recourse. Excuse the smugness, but I was rather relieved and pleased
with myself.

At any rate, my need to secure the data in my computer was admirably
met by DiskGuard, which worked just fine until recently. It provided
great boot/sleep/hotcorner password protection that was tolerant of
disk rescue utilities and networking.

Unfortunately, this solution broke after upgrading Diskguard, system
maintenance or OS update to OS 9.2.2. Can't remember exactly what did
it.

In seeking to update/upgrade the software to the latest version, I
observed that Version Tracker feedback is overwhelmingly negative
with respect to the latest version of this product and its current
owners. Turns out that Diskguard has passed on through two different
(ASD, Intego) owners since I originally purchased it from Highware
(who gave great tech support). I'm also going to have to pay for the
latest version.

So...Any recommendations regarding options? I suspect that 'Multiple
Users' can be easily defeated by booting with extensions disabled.
The only other option I am aware of is DiskLock from PowerOn
software. Any experience with these options or other security
solutions for the Pismo?