Hello,

I'm new to the list and this question may have been answered in the past.
If so, I apologize and hope someone can direct me to the location of the
answer.

I have a G3 Lombard with OS 9.1 and an IBM 20 GB hard drive installed.
This past week, when I started the computer, I've noticed that the date
is no longer set properly and I'm getting a message to that effect on the
start-up screen.

I'm not the original owner but have had the machine for about 10 months
and am quite pleased with it, having owned a Mac desktop unit prior to
this Powerbook.

If I leave the battery pack connected to the machine when it's shut down,
the date stays set correctly. If I remove all power sources for about 30
minutes or so, the date changes as well as the time. I have had the
machine connected to UPS power and normally shut that off overnight. This
has been the pattern since I bought the machine. Now, the date is no
longer staying current as it has been in the past.

I'm leaning toward the possibility of needing a new clock battery but to
help prove it, I removed the battery from my computer, with all the power
sources disconnnected, and measured the voltages of the cells contained
in the battery pack. I'm measuring 3.4 volts from each cell which
Panasonic rated at 3 volts. That's a puzzle since I don't really want to
replace the clock battery if there is some other problem. They are not
inexpensive.

Has anyone else had a similar situation with their machine?

Is the clock battery really at fault and it only appears to be okay since
I'm not testing it under any load?

If the battery is faulty, where might be the best place to purchase a new
one?

I have a couple more issues with this Powerbook that I would like to ask
the list about, but one thing at a time.

Thank you for any help.

Tom

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>