On Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002, at 21:20 US/Pacific, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> I'm no network expert but from the message the original poster is
> mentioning, it looks like Earthlink is able to tell that their servers
> are
> talking to a router, hence the saying "they don't support home
> networks".
> There must be something to do, but since I never faced that problem, I
> really don't know...

They associate the MAC (hardware) address of the computer with the
assigned IP.  This can be inadvertent or intentional.  If it's
inadvertent, the MAC address is just cached; if you leave everything
disconnected for a few (I'd give it 20) minutes the ARP cache will time
out and you'll be fine.

If it's intentional, they track it to prevent the end device from being
switched.

Either way, as a workaround many popular routers offer the ability to
force, or spoof, a different MAC address.  You can get the MAC address
of your Pismo as the "Ethernet address:" in System Preferences; Network
(that's OS X, I don't do OS 9).  Copy that into the appropriate
location in the router and the ISP won't know the difference.

KeS

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>