on 18/11/02 22:40, Amber Rhea at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As I posted a few days ago, lately I have been having to force quit OS X
> Mail a lot, due to randomly getting the incessant spinning beachball which
> will not stop, and the application will not respond to any keystrokes. No
> one replied to my post to offer any suggestions as to why Mail is suddenly
> behaving this way, but the cause doesn't bother me as much as the possible
> effects - how potentially damaging is it, really, to force quit often? I
> imagine it would be different under OS X than OS 9, but I know it's still
> not the ideal thing to do.

It's hard to tell for sure, but when you force quit an application, damages
to files can happen if the application was writing to disk. I would imagine,
although I don't have any certitude, that preference files and documents
could be damaged if the application is just in the middle of updating those.
Then, under some circumstances, the application might have problem
recovering from those conditions when launched again, which could result in
additional problems. It always depends on how the application was written to
deal with abnormal conditions. Some don't always behave gracefully...

I'm not sure about the file structure used by Mail since I haven't used it.
I would be tempted to suggest you remove the preference file, don't throw it
a way, just move it out of the Library/Preferences directory, in your home
directory and launch Mail again. See what happens. I would imagine that the
file would be named 'com.apple.Mail' or something similar.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

foo /foo/ 1. interj. Term of disgust. 2. [very common] Used very generally
as a sample name for absolutely anything, esp. programs and files (esp.
scratch files). 3. First on the standard list of metasyntactic variables
used in syntax examples. See also bar, baz, qux, quux, corge, grault,
garply, waldo, fred, plugh, xyzzy, thud.