on 20/11/02 23:00, Donald Keenan at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Why does moving the preference file help?
> I occasionally have problems with OS 10.1.5 Mail app (annoying messages
> about mailboxes being locked, etc) and an Applecare tech guy suggested
> doing this, but I don't get why. For me, it didn't work.
> Thanks,
> Donald
> On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 10:54 PM, Amber Rhea wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 01:40 AM, (G-Books) wrote:
>>> I'm not sure about the file structure used by Mail since I haven't used
>>> it.
>>> I would be tempted to suggest you remove the preference file, don't
>>> throw it
>>> a way, just move it out of the Library/Preferences directory, in your
>>> home
>>> directory and launch Mail again. See what happens. I would imagine that
>>> the
>>> file would be named 'com.apple.Mail' or something similar.
>>
>> This worked! (or at least, no problems again so far!) :) Thanks!

Glad it worked.

Why moving the preference file help? Good question! Most likely because the
file becomes corrupted. There are bogus values in it and when the
application tries to make sense of it, you can start seeing the application
getting busy and the busy cursor appears and the app never recovers. At that
point, the application, if it doesn't crash, might be loss in some kind of
endless loop, trying to get at non-existent or faked values. If you force
quit, sometimes it just makes things worst if the application was updating
that file. It can be left with even more bogus values. When you launch the
app, it might still be working because some parts of the file are still
fine, but as soon as the app tries to access the damaged part, all kind of
things might happen. It's hard to tell because there are some techniques
that you can sometimes use in order to detect something that doesn't make
any sense. However, due to the highly object-oriented nature of the system,
sometimes you don't have control over it since it's a private class or a
private piece of code that is executing. In that case, there isn't much you
can do, unless overriding those parts...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gates's Law: "The speed of software halves every 18 months." This oft-cited
law is an ironic comment on the tendency of software bloat to outpace the
every-18-month doubling in hardware capacity per dollar predicted by Moore's
Law. The reference is to Bill Gates; Microsoft is widely considered among
the worst if not the worst of the perpetrators of bloat.