On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 11:39 AM, Jason Long wrote:

> on 11/19/02 10:23 PM, Hal at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I've got a pismo powerbook that I've been using almost since they were
>> introduced. I often run it closed, connected to external keyboard,
>> mouse and monitors (I have this setup both at work and at home).
>>
>> I recently had it upgraded by powerlogix to a G4, and it's been having
>> some overheating problems (getting unstable when I stress the
>> processor
>> and it fully heats up). It does this most often when running closed,
>> but occasionally when open. Powerlogix is telling me that running the
>> pismo closed it "discouraged by apple", even with the original G3
>> chip.
>> Anyone else heard of this? I figured that if it's been working for
>> almost 2 years, it must be OK. Heck, there's even a knowledge base
>> article telling you how to do it...
>>
>> It's back at powerlogix for testing right now.
>>
>> any info is appreciated.
>>
>> -Hal
>>
> I almost solely use it with the lid closed even though I only have a
> G3/400.
> It still get noticeably warm with normal use and gets a bit hotter when
> playing DVDs even though I have one side propped up for better
> ventilation.
> Do you have it elevated in any way to improve ventilation. Some people
> use a
> cookie rack of approximately the same size to good effect, I've been
> told.

When running it closed, I either have it on a Roadtools Coolpad
(elevating it about 1/2 inch) or on an Intercooler (with a USB powered
fan blowing on the bottom of the case). As I said, with the stock G3
chip I never had any problems, so I think I must have just gotten a bad
chip. I'm still waiting to hear back from Powerlogix.

thanks for the info.

-Hal