This thread has been very interesting, and I thank all who have
helped. So really there is no way to safely protect the information I
have on this month old drive. It holds multiple online bank account
numbers, passwords, 3 stock accounts, passwords and similar  personal
and company info that I would not want the next guy who buys this off
ebay or wherever it ends up after TransIntl gets it back.
        I had hoped the IBM 40 GNX would have a better track record then one
month before clicking and scratching on startup and till now. Plus the
fun of reinstalling 10.2, I have heard of Carbon Copy but not perfect,
where is conflict catcher for Jag ?
        Maybe TransIntl deals in poor products, this was my 1st buy from them
and they have brushed me off with 2 phone calls and 1 e-mail saying the
right person is not there to handle the RMA. Now it seems the only
protection is to eat the drive cost to protect the data.
        The zeroing 7 times sounds good but how hard would that be to break??
Thanks again for all the help
Geoff