On 11/21/02 1:40 AM, "Kevin Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew
into the Cybertrough:

> As for "the Apple name", they're the ones who printed the keycaps.
> Does this also mean that I can't reference the "?" key?  Do I *have* to
> call it the "/"???

Let's turn this away from flaming and into reason.  The reason it is called
the option key is that no Apple Keyboards had the little "alt" on them in
the beginning.  IIRC that was an advent of the Appledesign keyboard and it
was only printed on them to facilitate the machines that came with DOS
compatibility.  So in the beginning there was no alt key.  That is why we
call it the Option key.  I am interested to see if anyone can tell me which
keyboard was the first to offer the little 'alt" on the Option key???   IMHO
it is totally understandable that a member "got his undies in a twist" over
the use of the term "alt key."  It is the same as saying that you should
replace the CMOS battery.  This is a Mac list and we use Mac terms.
Kyle H. Hansen
Apple Certified Technician
Apple Solution Expert
Macintosh Server Administrator