On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 12:08  AM, wappling wrote:

> Hi all,Im seriously looking at a new laptop,my most logical choice is
> a new
> I-book 800 12in screen at about 11:00 to 12:00 hundred range,howver the
> powerbook at 2000 is I think beutiful,besides the larger screen and
> made of
> metal,is there any other real advantages to it over the I-book?,I mean
> 8:00
> hundred dollars worth? thankyou for opinions helping me decide,though
> finances will probaly rule.

The Powerbook has a larger screen, an 867 MHz G4 instead of a G3, and
allows an attached monitor to span your desktop instead of just mirror
the screen. It comes with twice the memory and faster video. and a
third again larger hard drive (40gb vs 30), and gigabit ethernet vs
10/100 in the iBook.

The iBook is cheaper, sturdier,(imo, this is just from handling some of
each), slightly lighter, and nearly as fast. (though the Altivec in the
G4 does speed up OSX somewhat, and certainly will make a difference in
apps that use it, like iTunes and Photoshop)

The iBook has all of it's connections off the side of the system,
instead of in back. This is both good and bad...it's a big pain if
youre connected to a bunch of stuff, when the space where you put books
and papers is taken up by cables, but it's more of a hassle to get at
them in the Powerbook.

Since I'd personally consider the 14" iBook, that would narrow the gap
considerably, and make it a much harder choice.

> --
Wherever you go, there you are.

Bruce Johnson