Jeremy,
        The only components I can think of that are susceptible to water
are speakers, if they have paper cones, and I doubt that any laptop
speakers have paper cones.
        Battery packs might be susceptible because they are ultrasonically
welded together and it might be hard to get water out if it is submerged
for time. Also electrolysis as batteries would invariably be charged.
But easy to test ok/not ok.

        BTW, pure water is not an eletrolyte. Beer is only a mild eletroloyte.

        What components in the iBook were damaged by the water? Did they
try to clean? Were they shown to be damaged or was that just the tech
say so?

        My car dealer advised me to take my car to a transmission expert
because of some problem with change points. Transmission expert said I
needed a new tranny, best part of $1,000 US, without even looking at the
car. Said I would think about it; a week or so later another mechanic
noticed that the distributor was loose. Adjusted timing, tightened
dizzy, engine power back to normal, change points correct. No charge.

        As my brother says, "believe half of what you see, and nothing of
what you hear" And that was before he set up in the auto shop business!